Monday, February 21, 2005

I Wish Your Wish

There’s an episode of Sex and the City (Season 5, #1) where Carrie turns to New York for romance because she’s not in a relationship. Don’t worry, I’m not equating myself in any way to Sarah Jessica Parker but that’s the kind of day I had on Saturday. I slept in (8:45 am!) on Saturday and then spent the morning in my Hello Kitty pajamas watching everything that was on Tivo that I had been saving for over a week.
It was Saturday afternoon that turned out to be really nice though. I went to the Art Museum and made sure to walk around the entire museum which I had not done in a very long time. They redid the Asian art galleries which just opened this month and you can really see where they expanded the collection and put a great deal of thought into the presentation. I strolled through each of the galleries and took extra time in Decorative Arts and Design because it has always been one of my favorite areas of the museum. To me furniture is one of the most personal expressions and to stand and stare at a piece of authentic arts & crafts mission furniture or a chair from the 1920s that looks modern and hi-tech in 2005 is an amazing and beautiful thing. What really made my day was going upstairs to the modern art galleries. I always spend a lot of time in the Max Beckman room and looking at the Matisse paintings and Fragonard etchings when I go up there. Something else caught my eye on Saturday though. I was walking through one of the large rooms in the middle and the guard stopped me and said that someone with such a beautiful smile shouldn’t miss out on making a wish and gestured toward the wall where there were all kinds of people. All at once I was startled that someone was actually talking to me, bothered and skeptical about the smile compliment as I always am when people compliment me, and curious about what all the people were gawking at. Turns out it was an installation called “I Wish Your Wish” by a Brazilian artist and I have to say that even I, the eternal overly critical skeptical pessimist, found it very beautiful and uplifting. There were literally thousands of brightly colored ribbons hanging from the wall with wishes printed on them. You are supposed to choose a ribbon, tie three knots in it, and tie it on your wrist and wear it until it falls off and then your wish will come true. I’m not telling you what my wish was but I really do hope it comes true. As I walked out of the Art Museum I started thinking about how lucky I am to live in St. Louis. No, it’s not New York, or even Chicago, but it does have things that a lot of other cities don’t have. It has a world class Art Museum that anyone can walk into any day of the week for free. Isn’t that amazing? Anyone can stand 2 feet from a Picasso and look at it. Needless to say, if you haven’t been to the Art Museum lately I highly recommend a visit.
One of my favorite casual family owned city eateries is Adrianna’s on the Hill. They’re only open for lunch and I just don’t find myself in that area in the middle of the day anymore so I rarely get to go. When I left the Art Museum I headed to the Hill for a late lunch. It took me half an hour to get a sandwich and I had to get it to go because they were so busy. The weird weather on Saturday obviously wasn’t keeping anyone at home. The line wrapped around the entire room from the counter to the front door and it was mass confusion. I wasn’t the least bit disappointed and I was actually happy to see a city establishment so busy on a weekend in the middle of the day. There really wasn’t anything that could have made my Saturday more perfect than my trip to the Art Museum and the Sicilian Dip from Adrianna’s for lunch. I’m not Carrie Bradshaw and I left my Fendi bag at home Saturday but I can attest that St. Louis does hold a little bit of romance for a single girl every now and then.
|