Friday, March 04, 2005

X Chromosomes

I don’t really think I’m in a position to get dooced so I’m just going to throw this out there because it’s been on my mind for the past few days…
I just returned from a sales trip to Las Vegas which I attended with roughly fourteen other co-workers. I had to share a room with a new female salesperson that has been with the company just over a month. Let’s call her T. She seemed nice enough and the first 36 hours went off without a hitch: then came our first day of the trade show. I started off with a bang writing a very large order with another salesperson’s customer. This being my first official sale for the company, (normally my job entails more behind the scenes type things), everyone was extremely pleased. The rest of the morning went the same way. I kept writing nice orders with existing customers and even opened some new accounts. T started seething. It was like I drew first blood. She started questioning me in between customers and peeking in the order file to look at my orders after I dropped them off. I didn’t know it was possible for a 40 something year old woman to regress to the equivalent of a playground bully that easily. I don’t play the innocent girl with pigtails routine but seriously, I’m not one to start a rivalry with another co-worker much less a woman. I’ve already been in that position in my career path and am happy to affirm that I no longer feel any of those kinds of pressures. I’m on a different path now. It’s a path where caring for and about myself takes precedence over my career. That being said, it was extremely difficult for me to ignore that kind of gauntlet being thrown down. Bring it on, biatch. Basically I smoked her during the next 3-4 days. I just kept selling and put more energy into it but never said a word to her that would lead her to believe I was actually competing with her. The funny thing is as soon as we’d go back to the hotel at the end of the day she’d turn into a different person. She was all friendly and laid back again. It was like she possessed two distinct personalities who had never met each other. Now we’re back at the office and she’s friendly but icy. I think I got frostbite, brrrrr…

My question is why are so many women like this with other women? I would think that a woman would be happy for another woman who was doing well in a predominantly male company. I don’t think men behave this way with other men. I think this behavior is exclusive to those with two X chromosomes. Sometimes it’s as if two Xs repel each other instead of attracting. It just goes to show you that no matter how old you are you it’s always possible to find yourself back on the playground.
|